I have a quick story to share. I typically ride my road bike Saturday mornings with a group of 6 or 7. Usually the same faces but often enough someone new will come along.
This was the case this past weekend and I ended up riding alongside him as we reached the coast south of Stinson beach. We chatted a bit, I learned his name was Peter and I asked where he was front originally.
He said, "Have you heard of Ventura?"
We talked for some time about weeks of every summer in The Keys, the renovated downtown, trips to Anacapa. It was when I mentioned that my grandmother volunteered at the museum he said:
"Really, What was your grandmothers name"
"I'm sure everyone knew her as Connie Johnson"
"And what was your grandfather's name?"
"Herb Johnson."
"My dad played golf with Herb Johnson for years!"
"Wait. A fellow Challenger?!"
"He was!"
Peter's Dad's name was Dr. Jim Clark. Dr Clark played Golf with Opa and he and his wife were regular bridge partners of Oma and Opa, and spoke of them often. Peter recalled Opa's service in the Air Force, and said that his Dad "loved Herb's great sense of humor, on and off the course".
Bike rides are always a chance for experiences, but I never could have imagined such a gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment